Release an MVP, ASAP!
Currently this blog is very much an MVP.
I first announced that I was working on an updated blog back on April 6th this year, and it has changed shape a few times in those 3 months:
- The home page has changed from a grid to a simple timeline, with far larger images.
- CSS framework was changed from Bulma to Tailwind.
However, despite that, there is still a lot that I plan to implement:
- A dark mode would be nice to have!
- Each blog post needs a dedicated page, so it can be linked to.
- Comments are under consideration.
- While I can create posts, I have to edit them manually at the moment in the database!
To be completely honest, this blog is very simple at the moment. There's a table containing a list of posts, and that's pretty much it. The contact page fires off an email when someone enters a message, using Vue.js for the (very simple!) front-end and to submit the request.
But, all of this is just fine. Why? Because without cutting those corners for now, it would have been another 3 months (or more!) before I pushed this thing out.
I decided that enough is enough - I had to push it out this weekend just gone, and so that is exactly what I did.
Being a perfectionist, that's not an easy decision to make.
Are you sitting on a project, slowly chugging away at it until you feel it's ready for release? Cut anything unnecessary and come up with a bare-bones MVP. Get it out the door. Get people's eyes on it!
Not only will you feel a sense of accomplishment at doing so, but you'll also get a boost of motivation to continue working on it. And that's the best thing for the project.